Michael Carrick confident of keeping record-breaker Bruno Fernandes at Man Utd
By Edward Elliot, Press Association Sport
Manchester United manager Michael Carrick is confident Premier League player of the season Bruno Fernandes will still be at Old Trafford next term.
United captain Fernandes capped a stellar campaign by breaking the competition’s single-season assists record and scoring in Sunday’s emphatic 3-0 win at Brighton.
Following last year’s 15th-placed finish under Ruben Amorim, the 31-year-old turned down the chance to move to Saudi Arabia before helping third-placed United secure Champions League qualification this term.
“He’s such an influence for us and he’s been the captain and led by example in different ways,” Carrick said of Fernandes.
Having initially been asked if he was optimistic about keeping the Portugal international, Carrick continued: “I’ve got no reason to think otherwise.
“We’ve loved what he’s done and he loves being here, I think you can see that.
“He wanted to stay on (the pitch), he wants to stay on every single game because he’s enjoying his football, which is fantastic.”
United’s resounding victory at a sweltering Amex Stadium came two days after Carrick signed a two-year contract to remain in charge.
Fernandes set up Patrick Dorgu’s 33rd-minute opener to claim his 21st league assist of the season and break a record previously shared with Kevin De Bruyne and Thierry Henry.
Bryan Mbeumo doubled United’s lead in the closing minutes of the first half before Fernandes rifled home a third early in the second period.
Carrick has revived United’s fortunes with 12 wins from 17 league matches following the turbulent tenure of Amorim and believes there is a “strong foundation” for next season.
“I’m delighted I’m here for longer and we need to keep progressing,” he said.
“There’s work to do. You’ve got to keep improving, we want to be a little bit better but it’s so, so encouraging doing it from this place.
“The boys need a lot of credit for how consistent they’ve been and the different ways we’ve won games, and how strong they are. I think that’s really important for us to appreciate.
“That’s what gives me the encouragement and excitement moving forward that we’ve got a real strong foundation now to try and build on.”
Brighton were forced to settle for Conference League football next season after slipping to eighth place – below Sunderland – following a dismal display.
Albion began the final day in pole position for a Europa League spot and with an outside chance of the Champions League.
Seagulls head coach Fabian Hurzeler was left with mixed emotions.
“On the one side, it was the worst timing for that kind of performance; on the other side, when you reflect on the overall season, it’s definitely an achievement,” he said.
“It’s another milestone in the history of this club, it’s another great individual achievement from the players. We should be proud of the overall season.”
Brighton clinched European qualification for only the second time in the club’s 125-year history following a run to the last 16 of the Europa League under Roberto De Zerbi in the 2023-24 campaign.
“Roberto De Zerbi was a great coach for Brighton, he achieved unbelievable things with this club,” said Hurzeler.
“He set the base, the foundation for all the success that we could have in the last two years.
“We finished last season eighth, we finished now eighth and that shows we are consistent in this area where we can challenge the establishment.”
