Woman (49) died after allegedly seeing doctor 29 times without referral for X-ray and specialist care

Family of Claire Meehan settled their High Court action over an alleged delayed diagnosis of lung cancer
Woman (49) died after allegedly seeing doctor 29 times without referral for X-ray and specialist care

High Court reporters

The family of a woman who it was claimed went to see a doctor 29 times complaining of a respiratory tract infection but was not referred on for X-rays and specialist care has settled a High Court action over her death.

Mother of three Claire Meehan was only 49 years of age when she died in October 2024. The woman, before her death, had commenced legal proceedings which were then taken over by one of her daughters.

It was claimed against one doctor that despite Ms Meehan’s pattern of multiple presentations of respiratory tract infection over an extended period of time, the doctor allegedly failed to refer her for specialist opinion or X-rays.

It was further claimed that the lack of radiological investigations between 2017 and 2020 resulted in an alleged delayed diagnosis of lung cancer.

Mr Justice Paul Coffey in the High Court on Wednesday was told the case had been settled without an admission of liability.

Noel Cosgrove for the Meehan family and instructed by Hussey Fraser solicitors, told the court that it was their case that if imaging had taken place earlier in December 2020, it would have led to a diagnosis of small cell lung cancer, and she could have had surgery. An expert on their side, counsel said, would say that Ms Meehan’s life expectancy was allegedly cut short by fifteen months.

Shannen Meehan, Blanchardstown, Dublin, had sued Dr Anwar Siddiqui, with an office at Ballyfermot Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin, and Dr Diarmuid O'Keeffe, who practises out of Manor Road Surgery, Manor Park, Palmerstown, Dublin, over the death of her mother on October 13, 2024.

Against Dr Anwar Siddiqui, it was claimed that despite Ms Meehan attending with the doctor on at least 29 occasions with symptoms in relation to her lower or upper respiratory tract, antibiotics were prescribed, and she was not referred for a specialist opinion or X-rays.

It was further claimed that Ms Meehan had advised Dr Siddiqui that she had coughed up blood, which it was claimed the doctor knew or ought to have known was a probable symptom of lung cancer, but there was an alleged failure to refer her for X-rays and a specialist opinion.

Dr Siddiqui, it was claimed, knew, and it was recorded in Ms Meehan’s medical records that she was a long-time smoker and also had another condition. The doctor, it was contended, should have known Ms Meehan’s symptoms compromised her immune system and left her at an increased risk of developing lung cancer.

All of the claims were denied.

Ms Meehan had attended another doctor’s surgery between October 2020 and April 2021. Against Dr O'Keeffe, it was claimed there was an alleged failure in a medical duty of care. It was alleged Ms Meehan had presented with a cough, sore throat, throat pain and pain in the lung and was not referred on further until May 4, 2021. All of the claims were denied.

Ms Meehan in June 2021 had a bronchoscopy in hospital. A biopsy later confirmed small cell carcinoma, and she later began chemotherapy.

Mr Justice Paul Coffey said it was a very sad and tragic case. He noted the settlement and approved the division of the €35,000 statutory mental distress payment. The judge conveyed his best wishes to the Meehan family.

More in this section

Laois Nationalist
Newsletter

Get Laois news delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up